Sunday 31 May 2015

LONG ERN AND JOHN SENIOR TOP THE BILL ON THE HILL

I have just returned from a trip to Surrey, hence the lack of blog. As I was driving through the Pennine countryside, near home, I wondered at the greeness of the fields and the sharpness of the breeze that on the last day of May was still making shirt sleeve order unlikely. My sister-in-law has compiled a family tree based on the Yorkshire relatives. She has gathered photos and birth certificates from the local area. Have a look at this team photo of Victoria FC taken when there was a team based at a small settlement, at over 1000 feet above sea level overlooking Huddersfield. They played on the fiendishly exposed pitch at Victoria, near the now defunct pub and community centre is. The weather would be unforgiving for most the season. When the ball was kicked off the pitch, all the players, bar the one fetching the ball, would lie flat on the ground to get out of the wind! The two relatives are named and “long” Ern (centre on centre row)  could only be a centre half. John Senior looks a big'un too. This may be where the DNA came from to give my son a 6 foot + frame. Sadly I don't have records of the team's performance, I could investigate given time, but I wanted to have Victoria FC logged in history and show you their funky shirts, with their modern star logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment