Sunday 20 November 2016

MAVERICK ON THE SHELF

Some days I get stuck for a juicy theme and today was one. What to write about? So the old formula is usually what happened on this day in history. There is a splendid book called "Day of the Match" which I sometimes refer to, trying hard not to copy ideas. The book did offer me a reasonable event in history but I decided to see for myself what happened in international football on the 20th November.

I discovered that on this day in 1974 Frank Worthington played his last game for England at Wembley against Portugal and failed to impress in a 0-0 draw. It was by the way, England's 100th drawn match since fixtures began.

Frank had made his debut on May 15th that year against Northern Ireland at Wembley helping in a 1-0 victory.

He then appeared against Scotland (0-2 loss), Argentina scoring a goal against the Argies in a 2-2 draw, refereed I might add by an Argentinan ref!
He went on tour to East Germany (1-1), Bulgaria (1-0 win and Frank scored) and Yugoslavia (2-2). He then turned out against Czechoslovakia at Wembley enjoying a 3-0 win when England was trying to qualify for the Euros.
He won 8 caps overall and scored twice.

We all know Frank was a maverick and was largely ignored by the international selectors as were Charlie George, Alan Hudson, Stan Bowles and so on.
Here is a snippet from Frank's offering to football, playing for Leicester against Ipswich. He could unlock safes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0z_arXZ8nM

Why am I getting excited about Frank? He played for 24 teams in his career starting at his home  area, Huddersfield Town. Where was he born? SHELF. Where's that? near Halifax (north of Huddersfield) and that is where our U13s played this morning in a standard league game (which we lost).

I notified my fellow U13 coaches/parents once I realised the coincidence and of course Frank is a local hero, He was born, I am told by coach David, at 6 West Street. David knows this because he has Frank's biography, titled "One Hump or Two". Say no more.
I have used Frank as a subject before
http://baileyfootballblog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/frank-maverick-is-with-us-just.html

No comments:

Post a Comment