Monday 15 May 2017

LAST TIME DOWN THE LANE

Yesterday Manchester United wanted to spoil the party at White Hart Lane by taking the last touch! Herrera had the last touch of the last game on the WHL pitch. The last goal was scored by Wayne Rooney after 71 minutes. The last thrown in was by Blind, the last foul and booking by Bailly and the last offside was Rashford's. But Eriksen took the last corner (sadly, I don't know who took the last free kick or goal kick or dropped ball.......). I guess I could look through the film footage but well let's just celebrate Tottenham's unbeaten run at home with 22 wins and 2 draws which ended last night.

By coincidence on May 14th 1981, Spurs beat Manchester City 3-2 in the FA Cup Final replay with Villa scoring 2 and Crooks 1.

Tottenham Hotspur have played at White Hart Lane for 118 years and two sets of famous singers made the last game yesterday to celebrate, Chas and Dave and Hoddle and Waddle. There were many other greats on show including Charterhouse Football professional, David Howells.

David very kindly helped my school colleague Bob Noble arrange a leaving "party" for my retirement which was held at the Lane and on pitch.
School players, Old Carthusians and parents and friends who fancied it, played on the pitch over two halves. We were allowed to use the facilities, home and away changing rooms and afterwards had a reception in the Pat Jennings' hospitalty suite behind the "right hand goal" as you come out of the tunnel.

My earliest memories of White Hart Lane were from the 1960s when I was taken to see Spurs play on a couple of occasions in the club's "Double Year".

I was hooked having supported Blackpool as a nipper because of Stanley Matthews. My brother supported Preston because of Tom Finney. I saw Blackpool play when they came to Fratton Park although Matthews alledgedly never played south of London!

Spurs became my team and it was fitting to end my working career at the Lane. I scored the winning penalty in the final minutes, the penalty given away by my son who was playing for the opposition.
This game ended 4-4 after Spurs had been 4-1 up. Ray Pointer, the Burnley centre-forward, did the damage.


No comments:

Post a Comment