Sunday 14 January 2018

GUNNERS SLIP OFF THE SADDLE

I was going through my list of  "Grounds I have been to" and discovered that I have a few more to make up the 92, BUT I was surprisingly quite a long way into the list and one stadium that I have not been to, is at Walsall, once known as the Walsall Town Swifts and founder members of the Second Division in 1892.

I could mention this alongside several other obscure venues; Southend, Newport County, Swindon and so it goes on.
I choose Walsall and the Bescot Stadium (their new stadium from 1980). I have driven past it on the M6 many times. I can see inside the ground from the road...does that COUNT, BOB (anorak)?

Well it's a coincidence that on January 14th 1933, Arsenal (who have just been humiliated at the Vitality Stadium by AFC Bournemouth with 2-1 defeat. Manager Arsene was stewing in the Directors' Box) lost to The Sadlers in an FA Cup tie. The Gunners were run by the legendary Herbert Chapman, so don't panic Arsene, all the great leaders have their moments in the trough. Chapman, of course, managed Huddersfield in the period before he joined Arsenal, another nice link with this weekend.

Arsenal were FA Cup winners in 1930, League Champions in 1931 and runners up in both in 1932. When they played Walsall at Fellows Park, they were top of the league and were free scoring.

Walsall were 10th in Division 3 North. Chapman selected a few reserves (what's new for FA Cup ties?) but Alex James and David Jack (Britain's first £10,000 footballer) were in the team. The Sadlers, Gilbert Alsop, scored  from a corner with half an hour to go, then Alsop was fouled by Tommy Black in the penalty area, Bill Sheppard converted.
Walsall then lost to Manchester City in the next round and City lost to Everton in the Final.
Logo is 2007–2016

No comments:

Post a Comment