Tuesday 24 April 2018

ROY IS BACK

I read today that Jim White, that very entertaining sports' writer for the DTelegraph, is a fan of Roy Race. So am I and I guess there will be a few vintage readers who are too. Remember Blackie Gray, Tubby Morton? Stars of Melchester Rovers, who first made it into our "comics" and annuals in 1954, when "The Tiger" was first published. I was not old enough to be there when Roy made his debut but I do have the 1958 annual, a Christmas present. I have others!
11th September 1954 saw the first ever issue of Tiger – the sport and adventure picture story weekly – which features Roy of the Rovers.

Every week a story would capture my imagination with the typical English centre-forward ploughing his way through league and cup matches-just like Harry Kane; a true English "rose".
Every game had a "back story"; sorry to use that phrase but I thought I would get up to date with "news speak". You know what I mean.

Roy won 9 league titles, 8 FA Cup wins, 3 European titles and he was kidnapped 4 times. There was a messy divorce, a shooting and having to play in the midfield with Steve Norman and Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet, drafted into the club to attract back kids to the stadium. His son, Roy Jnr, was made captain. Roy Snr lost his legs in a plane crash!
Roy became manager and owner of his beloved Rovers. The family's last annual...probably my sons!

Roy's last appearance was in the "Match of the Day" magazine in 2001.
Publisher, "Rebellion" has seen the market for a new set of graphic books and Rob Williams is writing a new 21st Century version of Roy.
This involves Melchester Rovers being down on its luck and across town, rivals, Tynecastle have a massive investment from an emirate; new stadium and the works. It's time to take the Tardis back to my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment