Saturday 1 August 2015

WATCHING PENISTONE, CHEAP AT THE PRICE?

What shall I do today? It's Saturday, cricket season though the 1st XI are away; do I want to watch the reserves? The local footy team have a friendly-village football or shall I go to First Division Barnsley to watch the Yorkshire “friendly” derby against Championship Huddersfield Town. Tykes v Terriers. My nearest decent “pyramid” side is Penistone Church FC and their inclusion in the FA Cup preliminary Rounds gets a mention in the Four Four Two magazine for September! What else does 442 tell me?? Well, it warns me about how much my wallet will get stung if I venture to the Football League next week.

Research has shown that if I did catch an equivalent Barnsley game at Oakwell, during the real season it would probably cost me £28.15 for an adult ticket (though I might claim senior status!!), programme, pint and pie. A good deal?

Chelsea's cheapest ticket is £41 and nearly £50 overall and at Bristol Rovers you can get in for £9, total cost £18.40.

Bournemouth has zipped up to £42 now they are amongst the big boys, whereas a trip to Newcastle United, yes still high flying, remarkably comes in at £15 for entry and £24.55 overall. Is Mike subsidising his faithful fans? It's cheaper than Exeter City.

Down among the cheaper clubs are Sheffield Wednesday £19.30, over £7.50 cheaper than United, Derby County at under £20, Blackburn Rovers £21, Wigan Athletic at £22.90 and Birmingham City £24.40.

Fancy a nasty carbonated beer? West Ham will hammer you for £4.60 a pint and Brentford is the most expensive outside the Premier League. It does have a pub on every corner though so you can drown your sorrows as you walk round the outside.

Best deal on the programme is at Huddersfield or Carlisle at £2 and the worst at Man Utd and City at £4. Collectors' items no doubt?

I have been to Rochdale and yes they do good pies, so do Accrington Stanley both at £2. They are very proud of their franchise with local pie men.



No comments:

Post a Comment