Friday 25 September 2015

ITS NORMAL AND NOT GALLING

My roofer is Eddie, a good lad who manages to seal up the leaks and undo the errors, on a new extension that has been subject to the powerful winds and rain over the Pennines. So today he turned up wearing a sweat shirt emblazened with the Sheffield Athletic FC badge. There are several Sheffield sides and I was pleased to hear that this one was alive and well.

Knowing the value of Sheffield Football Clubs to footballing history, I got quite excited but discovered that his club was founded in 1999, so recent then! Whatever, I tried hard to sort out, which league he plays in, but short of finding out the Sheffield and Hallamshire League, I couldn't quite nail Athletic down.

Eddie tells me, has a left foot and could play left wing or centre mid, so I can imagine he would be a nippy, ankle clipping terrier- handy at tackling and also handy at solving slipped slates. Nice lad!

He did say that a mate of his was Nat Brown, presently a defender with Lincoln City and at 6'9” a seriously influential player who has journeyed from Huddersfield, to Wrexham and Macclesfield.

So that led me on to the Barnsley Chronicle, for no particular reason, but in the “Memories” section there was a reference to a Barnsley FC “Goal Blitz” in 1968, 47 years ago this weekend when Barnsley beat Brighton and Hove Albion on September 28th at Oakwell before a crowd of 9189.


This was in the Third Division and I know some of these players who helped in the 4-0 win:
Barry Murphy-Penistone's local sports' hall administrator, Eric Winstanley, who worked for the Tykes after his retirement from playing and Roy Ironside, a sturdy goalkeeper.


Brighton had Norman Gall as centre half, at 5'9”, not a big man, a Geordie centre half, signed from Gateshead, who tailed off in his career at Horsham Town FC, yes, playing alongside ME when I was a nipper-well not alongside, he used to cover up for my mistakes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment