Sunday 18 September 2016

FUN IN THE FENS

I kept up my 100% attendance of this season's FA Cup ties by trailing to St Ives FC, thankfully the Cambridgeshire version, to see Cambridge City (founded 1908) play Slough Town in the 2nd Qualifying Round. It was a 3pm ko. City and Slough share the same league and level on the pyramid.  Surprisingly there were a good number of away supporters, I would guess at least a coach load and the home team were loyally represented too.

With St Ives FC also in the same division as Cambridge, they have to decide who gets the home dressing room when there is the local derby. I bet St Ives dig their heels on that one. But I wonder which set of "officials" run the bar and so on?

Sadly, it was bottled ale only in the bar, though I could have had some nasty gassy stuff in my plastic cup  if I really wanted. On several occasions the announcer reminded us that this was an FA Cup tie and as a result any alcohol had to be consumed in the bounds of the club house. So I felt naughty popping my plastic "glass" on top of the bin by the dug outs as I chatted to locals and took the odd photo. I was not arrested.

ps If anyone can translate the "motto" let me know.......sudore sopore?

I met the home team programme editor who proudly showed me his research and I asked him if he remembered Cambridge City pitching out a team to play Cambridge University in October 1970. He knew that there would have been such a game, there always was one as part of the University's build up to the Oxford in the Varsity match in December.

The match against City was not a good occasion for the Blues, mostly young men of my age with limited experience of the semi-pro game! We lost 0-7 and our goalie the tall Chris Koral certainly had a long way to bend down to pick the ball out of the back of the net.


It didn't matter in end because Chris kept a clean sheet at Wembley, the Light Blues won 1-0 with a cleverly taken goal by one Jerry Wallwork, a product of Chesterfield and its environs. If you ask him he will tell you exactly what happened to give him the greatest moment of his footballing career.

So unfortunately I did not bring luck to City, they lost 1-3 against a decent lot from the Eton suburbs.
Their crowd were amusing, knowledgeable and would have sunk a few tinnies on the way home I bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment