Friday 23 September 2016

I'M PROGRAMMED ON A FRIDAY MORNING

A Friday morning in Holmfirth can be rewarding and once I have bought cake from the excellent High Street bakery, got my paper and mooched around the charity shops, my last port of call is usually the Oxfam Book Shop and the sports' section, though rarely do the books on the three football shelves change from week to week. I have a lot of these books anyway.

The History of the Huddersfield and District League signed by Frank Beaumont, a local legend, priced at £7.99 keeps grabbing my eye BUT I have been promised a copy by the League Secretary whose excuse for not yet sending me it, is that he has been busy with the new season's fixtures. Now we are several weeks into the season, I live in hope.

My Friday morning chum tells me I should stop being so tight and buy the book! It is for charity after all.

BUT today was a triumph because on the front window sill, for all to see was the Leeds United v Manchester United Football League match played on Saturday 17th October 1970. The programme originally cost One Shilling (5p as noted on the front cover). I paid £2.49 for it. So much for inflation, though it may be regarded an investment which my son may benefit from once he inherits the collection-the coincidence was the game was played on the date of his birth (not the year).

Inside the programme is the "Football League Review" which usually adds weight to any flimsy programme produced by the clubs. This edition had a natty photograph of Lincoln City's team included Ray Harford and the "Ground Call" was Bloomfield Road. There were various "letters" from the fans and a short piece on Jeff Astle in his prime.

The club programme boasted the two team "rostas" and I dare you try to name the two sides-11 men named (subs not named).
Then there were loads of adverts and the half time score board. The game eneded in a 2-2 draw. So far United have won 46 and drawn 35 out of 107.

There was a photo of a Fulham club secretary aiming an air gun at pigeons and a couple of quizzie things one of which was asking for the "highest", in altitude, ground in the FLeague. We all know that don't we!

I had fun sharing all this with my chum, I almost stopped him from talking about politics for a while!

Remarkably he two clubs had not played against one another before 1922-23 when they met each other in the FL Second Division. Prior to that Leeds City FC was formed in 1904 but had problems surviving and famously (GET THIS) on October 17th 1919 the entire playing staff and other assets were auction to pay debts. The whole lot raised £9250.

Leeds United took over the mantle the following year and there is still a team called Leeds City playing in the local county league today.

No comments:

Post a Comment