Friday 20 January 2017

4-2-4, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-1-3-2?

I shan't be watching Tina and Bobby tonight because I shall in a pub and I don't think the local clientele will want such drama on. The second episode is about Bobby, the light of his life and the World Cup Final 1966.

I can remember the day of the final. I was at John Bartlett's house with a few mates, we were 15 years old. What did we know about football and tactics? Not a lot!

John's parents were away and I suspect there were a few bottles of brown ale on show. Any gals? NO! Well not until the evening when we had a party. It was the summer, the day was warm and there was passion in the air.

We didn't really appreciate the girls nor did we appreciate Alf Ramsey's confidence that England, his team, would win the World Cup. Against the Germans??

"I stand by my belief that England will win the World Cup" he said, in his pinched posh accent. I met him once on a Saturday evening at Kings Cross railway station and got his autograph. Nice chap!!

What else didn't we know?
Why he took Jimmy Greaves out of the equation? He was guaranteed goal scorer...some say he was injured.
Why he didn't play John Connelly, Peter Thompson (known to the Brazilians after a recent tour as the White Pele), Terry Paine or Ian Callaghan as wingers mesmerising full backs? No longer did Ramsey trust the magic of wingers like Matthews and Finney.
Why he chose relatively untested Jack Charlton and Nobby Stiles, hardly seasoned internationals?
What happened to the 4-2-4 system? he played the "wingless wonders".
What made him choose Ball and Peters, potentially his wide men? Well not really.

NAME THE TEAM AND PUT THEM INTO FORMATION.
Answer tomorrow....remember Tina and Bobby's next episode. Get educated!

I am now off to the pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment