Monday 23 January 2017

THE POWER OF ADVERTISING

Danny Blanchflower and Shredded Wheat got a mention at breakfast today and from then on the conversation ventured into sportsmen/women and TV adverts. What resulted was this short list; Jackie Charlton and Shredded Wheat and Brian Clough and Shredded Wheat. I think other names and stuff may have been dragged up but since we were all concentrating on not eating burnt toast because it will not do us any good, we were distracted and the game dissolved into tea with orange top milk.
Apologies for fadey photo.

I then went to probably the best second hand bookshop in the world, Barters of Alnwick. I bought one cracker of a book called "Curiosities of Football"  @ £4.60 and nearly bought another one called "Victorian Football Miscellany" but remembered that I had a copy of it already on order. Annoyingly the Amazon version cost more than the Barters version!


My purchase had a section on footballers who have appeared in advertisements, so here goes:
John Barnes, Colin Bell, Johnny Haynes, Jimmy Hill, Dean Holdsworth, Pat Jennings, Gary Lineker, David Platt, Trevor Sinclair and Ray Wilkins.

OK that's the easy bit, now match them up with these commodities:
Tango, Top Man, McDonald's, Walker's Crisps, Unipart,Top Man (again), Remington Shavers, Brylcreem, Frosties and Lucozade.

I have given you some help and one or two are "gimmes", so best of luck and remember to phone your mates for help and bring people together!

Oh yes and why not throw a few more that I haven't mentioned back at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment