Monday 20 February 2017

YORKIES OR PORKIES?

Got another photo of a football pitch but I think you have had enough of my ramblings on Gomera. I did talk to reception at the Hotel Jardin Tecina **** to ask if they were going to show the Sutton United v Arsenal game tonight and Andreas Quintera, I read his badge, got all excited and pointed to the poster advertising the match at 8pm this evening in the discotheque room. I'm looking forward to that with a couple of Canarian lagers to slake my thirst and hopefully no disco? I shared the United win yesterday with a father and two sons who were supporting the reds.

Andreas, when I got talking to him about Sutton United, told me that he played for York City-how random is that? I asked him when and how and he went all coy, denying any publicity. I have looked up past players for the Minster Men and found no Gomeran links, so he may have just had a quicky and left or was perhaps telling me porkies! What ever, he is a very nice man who was prepared to listen to me talking about Sutton.

York City (1954-5 team below) of course, are now in the National League but have had their moments in the FA Cup. Their greatest triumph was from Third Division North in 1954-5 when having beaten Blackpool and Tottenham (aarrrghh both my favourite teams) en route, lost the semi-final to Newcastle United who of course in those days were top dogs who went on to beat Manchester City at Wembley. York City got a 1-1 draw at Hillsborough and then lost 0-2 at Roker Park. Good effort though. They also got 4th place in the division and Arthur Bottom was their top scorer with 39 in the league.

I am looking forward to the draw tonight and of course seeing how Sutton cope with the Gunners on their Astro. In my day we had proper grass and a groundsman who used to visit the home team changing room just before the game to fill up our sunken bath. He always timed his run as our coach (Ted Powell in those days) was giving it large; the groundsman wandered in with an old cigar in his mouth! Ted smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment