Tuesday 5 February 2019

GROUNDS AND STADIA


Facebook is a dangerous thing and it often leads me up some garden paths. Nice ones usually, I might add. I happen to receive announcements from a group called "Football Stadia & Grounds", which is largely a series of pictures of  football pitches/stadia sent in by "anoraks", who may have actually been to a ground (hoppers), but often have snatched an aerial view from some website.

So I ignore a lot of stuff, however today one "colleague" has posted a "colourised" photograph of Jimmy McIlroy in Burnley kit v Blackburn Rovers on October 18th 1958, the season before Burnley won the First Division League title. Nearly 42,000 watched them draw 0-0 with their Lancashire rivals. Another commented that Ray Pointer was his mum's uncle!
Image result for Ray Pointer
That led me to have a look at Burnley websites and I came across this little beauty on behalf of Burnley FC.
http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/feat/edx9/tottenham_hotspur_v_burnley__the_greatest_show_on_earth_605515/index.shtml
http://10footballs.com/spurs-1960-61-double-winning-season/

It doesn't describe the Clarets/Rovers nil-nil score bore draw but does mention a game I saw on December 3rd 1960 when Spurs and Burnley (then Champions) served up an eight goal treat, a 4-4 draw at White Hart Lane. 58,000+ were in the ground.

It was cracking game that a 9 year old was lucky to witness. In those days kids were lifted down to the front of the terrace (I was behind a goal-the one that Burnley recovered in!) and watched perched on the nearest crash barrier, held in place by my dad and uncle Stan. I remember watching Ray Pointer's blonde mop carve out gaps in the Spurs' defence; Burnley recovered from 0-4 down. Spurs were of course on their way to the first Double of the century. Here's part of the match day programme...ruined by me writing in the scores. Why didn't somebody tell me not to mess the programme and stick it into a nice dry plastic bag for.........

The next ground published on the Grounds and Stadia Facebook was the New Bucks Head, where National League club, AFC Telford United play along with the Wolves U23s.

No comments:

Post a Comment