Sunday 24 February 2019

YOU CAN'T KEEP A GOOD MAN DOWN

I wasn't thinking about Mark McGhee this morning when I bought my Non League Paper, but I had a gentle link with him when I was teaching and helping run Independent Schools' Football in my "prime". Mark's went to Bradfield College, a very impressive independent school near Reading and one that played football (soccer) as its major winter sport.
Mark's son played for their 1st XI and had representative honours for the "Association".

So why Mark? Well his face looked out at me this morning from the N-L Paper and he lives in Hove, a friend tells me. Sussex was my home county and he is taking over management at Eastbourne Borough from the National League South, a club I know well.

Is this important? Well, yes, because Mark has a considerable pedigree, having played for Scotland 4 times scoring twice and been assistant manager for Scotland, working along side Gordon Strachan.

His honours include a European Cup Winners' Cup, a European Super Cup, four Scottish Premier titles, five Scottish Cups and three promotions with three different clubs as a manager.
This last week he has been preparing to take on Wealdstone in a Non-League game.

McGhee, now 61, played for Greenock Morton, Newcastle United, was under Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen, Hamburg under Gunther Netzer, then Celtic, IK Brage in Sweden and Reading.
He played 489 games scored 172.

He then managed Reading (hence his son's choice of secondary school!), Leicester City, Wolves, Millwall, Brighton, Motherwell (twice), Aberdeen, Bristol Rovers, Barnet and now Eastbourne Borough . With around 970 games under is belt, he has much experience to offer.

McGhee has a few signings to make and a bit of a battle in front of him. best of luck lad!

No comments:

Post a Comment