Sunday 4 October 2020

SPURS DIG IN AT HOME

Just been watching Manchester United being pummelled 1-6 by Tottenham (h.t. 1-4) as Jose returns to Old Trafford and poor Ole is watching his team lose Rashford through a red card and then being thoroughly embarrassed by the Spurs. Why aren't I watching this annihilation, when this is the day I have always dreamed of? I don't like to see a man being beaten when he is down. Ole is a nice bloke and he is struggling. Jose is not my favourite Portuguese, so I am listening to the game on the radio, awaiting a sacking or???        BELOW: SPURS DOUBLE WINNERS 1960-1


I remember watching Spurs play Man U when I was a kid at WHL, with over 55,000, on September 3rd 1960, a 4-1 win; goals from Les Allen 2 and Bobby Smith 2. That night I saw myself on telly when the black and white MOTD camera panned along the far touchline at White Hart Lane and I was sitting on the edge of the pitch on the red gras path, perched by one of the letters that enabled the crowd see what the half time scores were (see below). I think I was sitting by an "M"....Charlton v Stoke 1-0 ht 3-1 ft. The crowd allowed youngsters to sit in front of the wall, lifted over the perimeter "wall", avoiding the crush; remember it was all standing in those days in the lower tiers.

Tottenham and United have played each other since November 28th 1899, when United were Newton Heath FC; this first match was a 1-1 draw in the FA Cup and then a 3-5 replay defeat a few days later. By 1909 NHeath became Manchester United!

They met in the League Div One on 11th September 1909 in a 2-2 draw. Between September 12th 1931 and 19/2/38 they met each other in Division Two. Other results of course include FA Cups, League Cups, Charity Shields and UEFA tournaments, and so on.

Total results since 1899:                                                      Man U won 92, Drawn 49 and lost 53

ALSO On this day 1933, Matt Busby, the Man U legendary manager, played his one international match for Scotland against Wales in Cardiff. Matt played over 300 games for Liverpool and Manchester City. Scotland lost 2-3. He will be spinning in his grave!


No comments:

Post a Comment