Thursday 22 September 2022

FINN SMITH and other youngsters and oldies

Finn Smith: Isle of Wight 16-year-old becomes FA Cup's youngest ever goalscorer

Over the weekend, a teenager from the Isle of Wight has become the youngest goal scorer in the 151-year history of the FA Cup. Finn Smith, a day after his 16th birthday, scored for Newport IW FC in their 3-1 extra preliminary round win against Fleet Town. "When I was walking into the changing room after the game, I heard all the lads talking and on their phones. They were saying that I might have beaten the record. "I'm well chuffed," Smith told BBC Sport. "I've been getting loads of messages from people saying congratulations and how proud they are. It's hard to take it all in if I'm honest." The midfielder had only signed with Newport the day before the match on his 16th birthday so was making his debut."It was a close game so I wasn't really expecting to get on the pitch," he said. "I noticed their left-back had maybe pulled his hamstring, so I just ran through the middle of the field, past the defender and called for the ball. "My team-mate passed to me in the box and I just tapped it in." A calm and precise finish from the youngster, who had come on as a second-half substitute, provided Newport's third goal in their 3-1 victory on August 6th. Only later did Smith realise he might have made history."They were searching on their phones. I was just shocked." 'I went to a beach party to celebrate'A week later the Football Association officially confirmed Smith as the new youngest goalscorer in the competition's history, aged 16 years and one day."I was happy enough to just get on the pitch. But to score as well was mad," he added."I went to a beach party after the match that night and celebrated a bit." Players must be 16 or over to play in the FA Cup. The competition's previous record holder was 16 years and 25 days old. A teenager from the Isle of Wight has become the youngest goalscorer in the 151-year history of the FA Cup. 

Newport IW FC travel to nearby AFC Stoneham in Southampton on Saturday for the next round of the world's oldest national football competition.

Seventeen-year-old Kaide Gordon became Liverpool's youngest FA Cup goalscorer to set Jurgen Klopp's side on the way to a comfortable 4-1 third-round victory at home to Shrewsbury. The League One visitors had threatened an upset when, having had just 15 per cent possession, they took a 27th-minute lead through Daniel Udoh. However, Gordon, who at 17 years and 96 days also became the club's second-youngest all-time scorer after Ben Woodburn, soon restored order.

Kaide Gordon
Right Winger
England
Jamaica
Liverpool FCJan 9, 2022Liverpool FC

Billy Meredith scored his last goal at the age of 49 years 208 days for Manchester City against Brighton & Hove Albion at the Goldstone Ground on 23 February 1924 in the third round of the FA Cup,”  The oldest FA Cup goalscorer in history! 






No comments:

Post a Comment