Saturday 10 October 2015

ALPHA, BETA, GAMMA LEAGUE

Without the knowledge of local fixtures, I was invited by my wife to walk the coastal path from Villa Triton to Agni and back. It took all morning, I feel better for it and I did spot a couple of lads (under 12s?) in royal blue track tops, heading off from the village, in a car driven by a busy mum. It was the closest I was going to get to a football match today- Non League Football Day! I wonder which team they were heading towards, I need a dose of local footy.

On my journey I was phoned by the Hepworth United Ladies Coach and then the club Secretary during the walk, but I politely texted back that I was several thousand miles away and phone calls would be expensive, so can it wait?!

We are never far away from the great game, though the trip to Elefsina in western Athens to watch PAE AOK Kerkyra or Corfu FC, play their second league game was never on, but we dream. The opposition, Panelefsiniakos, lost 3-1 in what was an entertaining game, I gather. Don't know how they finance their travel in a cash challenged economy? 

Corfu have played two and won two this season, so perhaps the time when Kerkyra FC has suffered fortunes may be over. Recently banished from the league for dodgy fake transfers of shares, the club has had to merge with nearby village, Kassiopi, cleared debts and joined what is the Football League in Greece, one below the Super League, with a division of 18 clubs. 

Formed in 1969, the club moved up from the island league and developed a strong reputation at the national level. They play in the tidy stadium in Corfu town. Now is the time for rebuilding, just as Greece has to restore its image, so does Corfu FC.

No comments:

Post a Comment