Saturday 3 October 2015

ROVERS AT HOME, PROGRAMMES ARE RARE

It has been a good day so far-I am waiting for the World Cup rugby! My trip to the dark side took 120 miles round and I experienced the outskirts of Manchester, Bury, Blackburn and then the Boatyard Inn at Riley Green-a very genial pub by the canal.

AFC Darwen were playing West Auckland and I would show you photos of the visitors bus with the sign West Auckland FC First Winners of the World Cup emblazened on the front windscreen, but my phone is defunct.

The Darwen ground was very hospitable, with some old photos of the 1890s team (see yesterday) and a mannequin standing in the corner of the bar, dressed in club kit, that you could buy if you wanted to-the kit that is!
The crowd was small, despite this being a Vase tie, because Rovers were at home. Bad planning?
The locals were very charming and I joined in their chit chat about the club and its history.

West Auckland went 1-0 up, the home team then pulled themselves together and went 2-1 up, only to give away a last minute equaliser, so the game went into extra time. The club vice-chairman a very friendly guy, did not want to travel to the north-east on a midweek evening for a replay (it costs), so he hoped for a winner, but I am afraid the wheels dropped off in the last period and the visitors won 4-2.

While I was there, I did meet my two retired northern teachers, Taylor and Hopkinson; I also met two ground hoppers from Horsham (my home town) who like me had to badger old men for their match day programmes because Darwen only had a few printed (based on Rovers being at home) but not realising that Auckland would bring two coach loads of fans, dressed in yellow and black and eventually "aled up".

I got my programme from an elderly gentleman who was clutching the thing against his walking stick and making it creased.....I rescued it for £1. i think he was confused about the transaction. The programme is full of good stuff, if slightly "used".

More importantly, I did meet the son of Alan Kennedy-you know the old Liverpool player, who came to watch his son perform, albeit on the losing side, and to rub salt in the wound, he got injured and had to be subbed. One home supporter got this photo signed by Alan!

Finally, a home player was laid out in a tackle towards the end of the game and the emergency services had to be called. I hope he was OK??

Sadly Darwen will not be clutching a Vase at the end of this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment