Sunday 4 December 2016

CHARLES BUCHAN CHEERS ME UP

Our U13s suffered another defeat this morning at Norristhorpe, 1-5 against a team who are nearly top of the the division. It was their B team and bless them, when we went 1-0 up early on and seemingly in the ascendency, they produced their A team centre forward (who was also wearing a captain's band) whom they stuck at left back and he settled their defence down and onwards and upwards they went. Their coach withdrew the kid towards the end of the match and stuck on some kid who had to be turned round to know what he was doing. Shame on you Norristhorpe.

To cheer me up, my better half was up in the attic sorting out boxes of old books and children's stuff. She found my box of football books and my job is to tidy them up!

How many of you will remember the Charles Buchan Football Annual? It was a standard Christmas present for me when I was a youngster, along with the sugar mice and dinky toys (I found a box of them too).
You will note that the annuals run from 1960-1 through to 1965-6, a year when I became, probably, more interested in Motown LPs and a "Beatles" jacket, with that round collar and red lining.

There is also a rather nice little book in the Ladybird series called "Learnabout Football". which is possibly where my interest in football history and tactics came about.



Look at the sales that the new "Enid Blyton"series is having with titles about Brexit, Grandparenting, Teenagers and the like. We have had them for years!

No comments:

Post a Comment