Monday 10 June 2024

JIMMY...CLOSE MARKED BY POOCH

I don't make this up or plan it particularly, but having written about a canine friend yesterday, TODAY a pooch inspires me when I could choose several other subjects. In 1966, Jimmy Greaves had been ignored by Alf Ramsey, in the England World Cup final team. Jimmy had been an England favourite prior to the latter stages of the World Cup but the shock of not being involved in what was England's greatest tournament and consequently he descended into alcoholism. Later, he found himself presenting a mid-80s chat show with a theme tune containing the lyric "If you want a laugh, Call at Greavsie's Gaff".

Greaves' nadir came in Chile in 1962, when England's World Cup quarter-final against Brazil was invaded by a stray dog. Several players attempted to catch the pooch but it was Greavsie who finally succeeded by getting down on all fours and barking to coax the dog into his arms. As he carried to dog off the pitch, he was peed on by the irritated pooch and consequently he acquired a delightful pong of dog urine. "I smelt so bad" Jimmy said later, "but at least it meant the Brazilian defenders steered clear of me!"

It is said that Garrincha, the two goal hero for the Brazilians' in their 3-1 win (Vava scored the third),e dogwas so amused by the dog that he took it home with him and kept it! BUT in fact the was named Bi and was raffled off to the squad after the game. Garrincha won the prize and took it home. See the news clip below...about a minute's worth....

https://www.balls.ie/football/jimmy-greaves-garrincha-dog-catcher-in-brazil-485142

Jimmy said..."I got down on my hands and knees, being a dog lover anyway, and called the dog over. It got a massive cheer and I picked the him up and cuddled him and as I cuddle him, he peed all down my shirt. And you never changed strips in those days, you just had the one shirt, so I had to play in the smelly shirt!"

England team: Springett, Armfield, Wilson, Moore, Norman, Flowers, Douglas, Greaves, Hitchens (goalscorer), Haynes, Charlton R.

No comments:

Post a Comment